The Nashua Police Department’s Financial Services Division is responsible for assisting the Chief of Police in matters concerning budget, planning, accounting, and purchasing by providing the Chief of Police with information and suggestions best suited for carrying out the Department’s administrative and financial responsibilities.
The Nashua Police Department’s Fiscal Year 2013 budget is $17,670,299. The majority of the budget is allocated to payroll at 92%, which includes regular pay, overtime pay, holiday pay, and longevity pay. The remaining 8% of the budget is to fund daily operations to include utilities, supplies, services, equipment, maintenance, and training.
Other sources of funding for equipment, personnel, and overtime are received through federal and state grants. The Police Department has been involved in grants since 1996. Over this period, the Department has been awarded $5,837,103 in closed grants including recipient contributions, and currently has $1,062,151 in active grants. In the past, some of the sources of federal funding included Community Oriented Policing Services program (COPS), Local Law Enforcement Block Grant (LLEBG), and more recently the Justice Assistance Grants (JAG), and Federal Recovery Act Stimulus Funds. State grants are federal funds passed through to the State and include agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Safety, and Department of Justice.